Python lover, hardware builder, powerlifter, and tester of all the things
Technologies: Python, Git, Docker, Vagrant, Travis, Jenkins, LaTeX
Hardware: KiCad, Test and Measurement Equipment, Instrumentation Control
Product Test Engineer - North Inc (formerly Thalmic Labs)
Jan 2018 - Feb 2019
- Defined, implemented, and maintained several complete manufacturing test solutions
- Programmed configurable test stations featuring an easy to use interface, multiple levels of access, different operational modes, and more. All written in Python 3.6.
- Performed runtime analysis on station software to identify bottlenecks to improve cycle time. One example being taking a semi-automated process from 40min, to full-automated 20min, to 13min optimized.
- Built a complete Python based library for station software to easily log test data to the manufacturing database, published to an internal PyPI server that I requested. This included tests via pytest, type hinting via Py36 Typing module, and static typing analysis via mypy.
- Utilized numpy, pandas, and matplotlib to do basic data analysis on manufacturing data.
- Assisted other teams and individuals with Python related issues
- Built several one-off tools to help non-programmers gather test & measurement data, featuring a GUI and delivered as a single executable, written in Python.
- Facilitated DFT reviews with design and production teams.
- Lead team wide conversations about test station software standardization.
- Participated in GR&R studies for several process steps.
- Helped train technicians and co-op students.
Test Developer - D2L Corporation
May 2015 - Dec 2017
- Initiated, designed, and implemented a new test framework to allow teams using Angular.js or React.js to include automated UI tests in their continuous integration process
- Devised test plans for the team's projects to aid in regression testing
- Convinced a team I recently joined to delay ship date by one month to improve product quality, resulting in a great product and company-wide recognition for my efforts
- Promoted a culture of quality through driving continued adoption of quality, meaningful unit tests and code coverage metrics
Owner - Galvant Industries
2012 - Current
- Started the open source Python library InstrumentKit which features maintainable automated unit tests using Python Nose and Travis CI
- Designed several open source products involving prototyping, firmware development using C, testing, debugging, documentation, and post-release updates
- Performed thorough code reviews of pull requests to ensure that project style, quality, and Python PEP8 coding style standards are met
Graduate Research Assistant - Institute for Quantum Computing
Sept 2011 - Feb 2014
- Tested and debugged a variety of hardware and software projects
- Designed a spectrometer with superior specifications and lower cost point than previous\equipment
- Mentored and trained co-op students
Masters of Science - Physics - University of Waterloo (Sept 2011 - Feb 2014)
Bachelor's of Science - Honours Physics - University of Waterloo (Sept 2007 - Aug 2011)